S. Andrea degli Armeni charm B&B****, ancient and elegant, is situated in the center of the old city of Taranto, nearby the ancient S. Andrea degli Armeni Church (1373 -1573), one of the five Armenian churches in Italy.
The building was an integral part of the church with the vicarage and the sacristy. Placed to the angle between the via Paisiello and Piazza Monteoliveto, emanates the charm of centuries of history. Situated not too far away from the railway station and from the centre of the city, it is surrounded by monuments of great historical-artistic importance: Sanctuario della Madonna della Salute from the Six hundred, the native house of the musician Giovanni Paisiello, Gallo Palace remodeled in the XVIIIth century and linked to the events concerning Maria Di Enghien, Princess of Taranto. The block lies between the central via Duomo and the “handrail” on the Mar Grande.
The insides, realized in classical style, create a sober, elegant and refined atmosphere.
The rooms are bright and very welcoming and reveal details of refinement and attention to particulars.
The accommodation facility has been realized restoring wisely the ancient attached complex to the S. Andrea degli Armeni church, of medieval origin, on pre-existing Greek and Roman antique Greek Acropolis, still visible in the basement.
The 1300 building installation, transformed toward the end of 1500, undergoes expansions in 1700 and preserved intact the original structures including those from the basement, where the ancient (Fogge) are preserved, cisterns, corn and wheat grains store-pits, wells dating from the Greek, Roman and medieval epoch.
At present the building is composed of the ground floor and two upper floors over the basement, and keeps parts of the original floors from the XVIII century, also in the rooms.
Restored by: Ing. Arch. Giuseppe de Bellis. year 2008